*New prompt added every week!
- Going along with my previous discussion on the importance of character growth, getting to know your characters inside and out is just as important. Conduct an interview with the protagonist in your novel (or your favorite if you so desire) and then answer those questions in their point of view. This is a great way to find the voice of your character and to know what they really are about
- We’ve all had pretty vivid dreams. Choose one that sticks out in your mind the most. Write 1-2 pages, describing it as best as you can. Bring this dream to life. But…do not mention that it’s a dream anywhere in your writing. Forget all the writing rules: punctuation, structure, and logical jumps. This should be kind of like a free-writing exercise where these rules shouldn’t be a concern. You should only focus on the imagery and descriptions of your dream.
- If you’re a writing a novel, choose a character and write an obituary for him or her. It can be the age your character is currently or as an elderly person. Write about this characters life and achievements. What kind of family did he have? Were they close? What about his job? Will he be greatly missed? This doesn’t have to be very long. Write enough so you can really get to know who your character really is. If you aren’t writing a novel, make up a character and go with that.
- Make up a magical creature and describe it as best as you can. Give it a name and then try to draw it (it’s okay if you’re not really artistic. It’s not about being an artist or anything). Then, if you want, come up with a poem of your new creature to go along with your art. This is all about having fun and relaxing!
- Write a page describing your favorite character from a movie, television show, or book. Talk about about physical and personality descriptions. Also, discuss what this character does in his or her daily life, ie: occupation, hobbies, likes and dislikes. What about his family? Does he spend time with them? Or do they not get along? Be as specific as possible
- Imagine that you woke up after a very deep sleep. You discover that you’re now 70 years old. What happens next?